So last night THIS happened, glass and boiling liquid shot 10 feet around my kitchen and onto me! Did you know Pyrex can explode? I didn’t. Thankfully my kids, that usually sit RIGHT BEHIND THIS SHOT while I cook were not home this evening.
My poor ruined dinner via Instagram.
I bought a new, larger Pyrex baking dish so I could fit more veggies around my roasts. Purchased it on Wednesday night and on Thursday made a lovely roasted chicken with potatoes, onions, mushrooms, carrots – it was stuffed with celery and lemon (and you know buying organic, this is not a cheap meal!). Pulled it out of the oven and set it on the counter where I have set my old Pyrex dishes hundred of times before and BOOM the darn thing exploded in a way that I could never have expected! Not cracked, not broke – I am talking a loud, terrifying, dangerous explosion.
In doing some research online I see that this is a very common problem with newer Pyrex, not made from the same glass it was made from years ago. In the past Grandma could go from the fridge to the oven to the table…now you must place it on a towel, not a trivet, and the towel must be dry. You must have liquid in the bottom of the pan and oven fully preheated or you could have glass shrapnel exploding all over your kitchen or even in your oven (ruining it in some cases). You also shouldn’t use it if it has any scratches…which is does after the first use more than likely. It’s a ticking time bomb if you dare not follow their recommendations! I came across thousands of complaints, and you know only a small fraction of people actually take the time to file a complaint. My days of Pyrex are over, I can’t risk that happening again. And MAN was I sad about our dinner! Not to mention the HOURS of clean up that followed…
This post has some great information about it. At least I am not alone?
Update: The Dr. Oz show featured this problem (and these photos) on October 3, 2016. It is still a problem and I am still happily using my non exploding ceramic cookware.